Job #: 15263
Title: Software Engineer III
Duration: Permanent Placement
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our client’s thriving application engineering team for supporting their growing Retirement Plan & Individual Annuity business. This role requires a combination of good technical leadership skills, strong engineering mindset and solid application development experience with a wide range of technologies and programming languages. Our clients pride themselves on delivering a great customer experience. Whether it is developing cutting edge applications on the cloud or modernizing our legacy technology your engineering skills will be used to develop best in class solutions. We are looking for individuals who can bring new ideas, new engineering methods to deliver agile solutions to our customers. Could this be you? If so apply today!
As an experienced software developer you will work with the business leaders and IT practitioners to design and implement software solutions. You will be a focal point and lead for other junior software engineers, leveraging your knowledge of engineering solutions to design, implement, test, and deploy business applications that exceed our customer’s expectations. You will influence our application development community to identify new technologies, methods, standards.
- Partner with business sponsors, software architects, engineers, analysts and IT management to lead design activities for new or enhanced IT solutions
- Conduct design reviews with business stakeholders and other IT disciplines
- Serve as the senior engineer for a team of developers and analysts, including offshore resources, to ensure development adheres to designs, development standards and best practices. Conduct code reviews.
- Collaborate with other IT disciplines, including Requirements Engineering, Data Analysis, Quality Assurance, and Project Management to review project plans, requirements documentation and test plans.
- Be the focal point person leading the effort for troubleshooting software engineering related issues in solutions
- Proactively identify and communicate risks and issues to management and create action plans to mitigate risks
- Work on strategic initiatives on technology selection, research and development and process improvement
Skills and Education:
- 6+ Years demonstrated experience designing software solutions using varied design and/or modeling techniques such as object models, class diagrams, component diagrams, sequence diagrams and tools such as UML, Visual Paradigm
- 4+ Years developing with core Java technologies OR C# .NET, C++
- 4+ Years experience with HTML, XML, SQL, PL/SQL and REST/SOAP-based web services
- 4+ Years experience developing to database designs and standards, including Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- 3+ Years in a variety of software methodologies agile, scrum, waterfall, RUP
- An analytical and collaborative mindset that allows you to delve into technical issues both as an individual contributor and as part of a team to understand not only how something works, but why it works, and how it can be improved
- A demonstrable understanding of common security threats and mitigation strategies
- Effective communicator (written and verbal) and team player
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years of experience as Software Engineer, or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Additional Qualifications That Add Value:
- Experience with mainframe technology including JCL, VSAM, Cobol
- Experience with Microsoft SSIS, SSAS, SSRS
- Experience with FIS/Sungard Omni Suite of products
- Experience with technology roadmap development and project management principle/concept
- Understanding of the financial services industry, specifically retirement planning and/or individual annuity
- A history of successfully bringing innovative solutions to complex problems